5160 Series for Lifted Trucks
Heat is one of the major detriments to the performance and longevity of any shock absorber. Conventional twin tube designed shocks trap the heat within the shock body and do not let it adequately dissipate, making them prone to heat build-up, fade and eventual failure.
By contrast, Bilstein's technically superior, monotube high gas pressure charged design allows the excessive heat from the oil to transfer to the outer surface of the shock body and dissipate more efficiently. The dividing piston also permits the oil to expand as heat builds, preventing aeration (foaming_ and viscosity loss. This allows the shock to maintain full damping characteristics as temperature rises.
||Shock oils contain roughly 10% gas molecules. The compression and rebound strokes of the shock piston in the oil column cause pressure differentials. When the piston rod is forced quickly into the shock tube, the pressure increases in front of the piston and decreases behind it.|
Gas pressure shock, no foaming
|These pressure differentials release gas molecules from the oil column which forms small bubbles (foaming). The foaming can become so excessive that damping force is severely reduced. The shock becomes unresponsive with a corresponding loss of vehicle control.|
||Monotube vs. Twin Tube Shock Design|
The photo on the left dramatically illustrates the size difference between the working piston inside a BILSTEIN monotube shock and one found in a typical 'twin tube' shock.
Bilstein's piston has 228% larger surface area than the average conventional twin tube piston offering greater sensitivity and superior vehicle control.
Bilstein's Digressive Working Piston Assembly
|The piston head design allows independent tuning of the compression and rebound damping forces to provide optimum ride comfort and performance without compromise. It features fewer parts than most conventional twin tube and so called 'road sensing' shock designs. This simple, yet exceptionally functional digressive design contributes to the extreme durability and long life of Bilstein shocks.|
5160 Series Stock Location Remote Reservoir Shock:
- Designed to easily install in the stock shock mounting location on pickups and SUVs – no cutting or welding required
- Bilstein’s industry leading monotube design
- Unique digressive valving system instantly produces full damping capability
- Remote reservoir dramatically increases shock oil capacity for even greater heat dissipation and damping sensitivity
- Reservoir mounting configuration designed specifically for each vehicle application – no welding required.
- For increased wheel travel and more shaft movement, the ‘floating’ dividing piston is located in the reservoir
-Bilstein’s exclusive Triple-C technology finish provides easy care and lasting great looks
- Includes reservoir mounting kit and etailed instructions (does not include optional billet aluminum mounting clamp)